The business rules capability available in SAP BTP’s Workflow Management service can help you automate and digitise decision-making. It does so by distinctively encapsulating the dynamic design logic from the aspect of application logic.
The business rules can also provide web-based programs or tools to model decision interfaces to implement with business services and SaaS applications.
Business Rules – Additional Information
The business rules’ primary job is to digitise your decision-making system and automate whatever repetitive tasks you undertake. The capability generally runs in the Neo Environments and the Cloud Foundry.
For now, let’s learn about the features of the API first.
SAP BTP’s business rules API comes with two different features, including –
- Embed Business Rules: It’s like the test rules and decision tables commonly found in a SaaS application. However, unlike these, the embedded business rules primarily focus on offering an excellent in-app experience through a sublime interface. It can also let you customise dynamic businesses in your own way.
- Manage Rules: It can help you manage the lifecycle of different procedures in your business’s infrastructure. You can deploy the rule services to different runtime-related environments, including –
- SAP BTP rule runtime.
- SAP HANA.
- SAP S/4HANA.
- SAP S/4HANA Cloud.
Although the business rules capability of SAP BTP is quite potent, it suffers from a few minor limitations. However, these can be solved easily through app integration and implementation.
|Area||Limit||Value for Standard or Basic Plan||Additional Information|
|API||Request body size||
|Request rate Limit||Runtime – 150 requests can be made per second and per tenant.
Repository – 120 requests can be made per second and per tenant.
|Rule Service Deployment||The overall size of the rule service deployment content||5 MB/rule service deployment||The size of the rule service deployment content is generally calculated at the period of the deployment on the basis of number and the size of these entities –
Note: Remember, a single project’s maximum number of versions is limited to 10. Thus, keeping it within the restriction while working is better to ensure that the table doesn’t falter.
Creating a Business Rules Project
Creating a business rules project through the SAP API Business Hub pretty efficiently. Here are some of the steps that you need to follow in this aspect –
- Curate a specific project to Author Rules
- Create new data objects and configure value help for it
- Create text rules and a decision table
- Create rulesets and rule services,
- Deploy the rule service
Although it’s easy, the process can be pretty lengthy as a whole. Therefore, it’s better to go for a consulting service to ensure that the process is proceeding properly and specifically.
Accessing Manage Rules Project Application
As mentioned before, a feature or tool known as the manage rules project application can be accessed manually. Here’s what you need to know about it.
Context of the Procedure
It’s possible to create a project within the ‘manage rule projects’ application to integrate core business logic using the entities (can be found in the table). Every business decision scene or circumstance can be deployed or automated for different projects.
Prerequisites of the Procedure
- In case you’ve manually customised the service, the deployed application can be found in the ‘applications’ section of the Cloud Foundry space.
- If you’ve used the workflow management booster to customise the service, check if the booster has run successfully or not. Read the guide to initial setup to know more.
The procedure of accessing the service can be done in two different ways, including –
1: If you have customised the service by employing workflow management booster, then here’s what you need to do –
- Once the booster starts running, select ‘Go to Application’ to get to the launchpad of the workflow management window.
Alternative: You can access it by going to the ‘subscriptions’ tab of the workflow management application.
- Choose ‘manage rule projects’ in the launchpad to access the manage rules project app.
2: In case you have customised the service through a manual procedure, you should –
- Go to the SAP BTP Cockpit and navigate to ‘applications.’ Then select the app that you have deployed and tap on ‘restart.’
- Then, select the URL of ‘application routes’ to access the ‘Manage Rule Projects’ app.
The Bottom Line
So, that’ll be all for this article.
Yes, we know – there are too many technical terms to deal with here. Thus, if you are confused about something, do let us know. We’ll look at it and throw a solution in your direction. Or we’ll help you with whatever implementation you’re having trouble with as well. So, feel free to contact us!